Angies List - Angie's List Is A Scam.

172 of 172 Angies List Reviews
Aug 07, 2010
review #192837

Angie's List is a scam. After your company gets added they contact you and tell you that your company has been added and reviewed. If you'd like to have an enhanced listing you can pay us for that.

They specifically outlined to one of my vendors that what they would be paying for is good reviews. They achieve this for you in two ways. One is by paying people to write the reviews, the other is by using telemarketers who call current consumer members and pressure them to write good reviews for your company.

So the whole "we are acting in our members best interests" thing is bull! They have one interest in mind: their own.

Angie's List is not honest... you can never know if the reviews you're reading are true or not.

65f2293
3.4
Had an experience with Angies List?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
Don

Jul 20 Newtown, Pennsylvania

Angie's list is such a scam. They charged my co, $ 13500.00 for advertising everything went great. I have received an f grade on a post from the son of a client I worked for his father 12.5 years ago and he's contacting me now about the job we did 12 years before that was poorly installed so he said complete lie, the fact remains that Angie's list post complete lies and deceptions they are a untrustworthy and unreliable for a contractor site the BBB is still the best way the go Stay away from Angie's list

never trust  angie

Jul 13 St. Louis, Missouri

I used a a couple of companies from angie list and they were horrible but they are top rated on angie's list

Mac

Jul 07

I just joined AL 2 months ago as one of my competitors who is a fraction of my size has over 147 (!) A positive ratings and seemed to be thriving on AL for leads & biz. Now that I'm a biz member I've gotten two glowing customer reports in a month- problem is neither one is a customer, but they specifically mentioned my company name.
Clearly my competitor has learned how to "scam" AL's system.
Plus, a friend was contacted 2 weeks ago by AL after her search on their site wanting to "help" her write a review on a company. As she tells it AL put words in her mouth and steered the whole conversation in the "positive" direction they wanted for a member company's grade of an A.
AL is a complete fraud!

roxy

Apr 27

I think this review hit right on. I received 3 bad reviews from people we did not do work for. There were circumstances that was explained to each on why we were unable to do the work. Yet we received bad reviews and the folks @ angies list said the bad reviews affected calls for work. At one time we were listed on page 1 & 2 now they put us on the bottom of page 4. We have gotten good reviews from people we did do work for

1 0 Reply
Cristy

Apr 27

An ex-customer of ours reported to AL that our company broke his well pump three years ago and we refused to replace that pump. We did do work at his home but we were not responsible for his faulty pump. We do not pay AL and never have, and as others have posted, as soon as we had one review, AL calls and emails every week and has been doing so for many years. Up until this man's poor review, we were rated A+ with AL, his review brought us to a B. We called AL to state our case and AL stated the only way to reverse his poor rating is to make him happy. He wants $5,000.00 for his pump to be replaced and for "personal loss and damages." There is no way we would ever pay a liar $5,000.00 to get a good grade on AL. There are contractors that do pay the price and, unfortunately, consumers believe the lies. It is known in our area that you can call one of our competitors and get anything you want for free, just complain to AL and the company will refund your money to keep a good rating with AL. Not on your life with us, we'll take the poor grade.

1 0 Reply

Feb 28 Saint Louis, Missouri

One bad review after another...Wow...why would anyone pay to belong to this company. You can get better information from your local BBB and its free!
Angies List has posted bogus reviews on our "site", there are some we didn't even do work for. When we contacted these "customers" we requested and received letters stating they had never done business with us. When we approached Angie List with this info, it was blown off as computer error. But they never removed them either. What possible benefit could this company be to anyone?
It must be true "a sucker and his money are soon parted".

Harry

Dec 08, 2013

I thought I signed up for the free business program. buuuuuuut, as was said here, it was bull----.
also I saw that I actually got a few ratings from supposedly individuals saying that I did lousy work, etc, from people that I have never met in my life. was never at the home, or never spoke to the person behind the write-ups.
soooo, I called her list and demanded that they remove me asap, etc etc.
I told them the issue and they seemed like it was commonplace in their no care attitude they expressed to me.

homeadvisor fan

Nov 13, 2013

Absolute rip off. Nothing is free neither for the contractor or the client. Find better ways to advertise because you will be losing at least $260 a month and will be asked to create BS jacked up pricing coupons to attract the "elite clientele of AL" - yes that is how much they care about there members they advise contractors to create those so called deals and they also participate in profits. So future clients of AL, find yourself a professional services websites that are free, it only looks good on commercials.

Carpet company

Nov 09, 2013 Raleigh, North Carolina

It is ***. We have to pay a lot of money to post on angies list. Contractors don't pay BS. The reviews are bogus. She is the only company that double dips. brilliant some say while others say she is a scam artist. depends one's ethics.

BDS AVCOM1

Aug 27, 2013 Fort Worth, Texas

Angie’s List is the worst rip off on the web to BOTH the consumer and to the service professional. I am a contractor. I signed up with Angie’s list in August of 2012. I started the process to start generating review from customers. Now as you see on TV and as they advertise, the service professionals (the contractors) DO NOT pay to be on Angie’s List. Well yes, that’s true, but what they don’t tell the consumer is the contractor has to pay a lot to be on the first page or two of Angie’s so called LIST. So the TRUTH is, yes the contractor does have to pay if they want to get any calls from Angie’s list.
I started paying Angie’s list in March 2013. And amount of $250 a month. At this point I got myself (2) Review from consumer members of Angie’s List, about my company which were great reviews. Which I had to pay the consumer for them to sign up as a member so they COULD write a review about me.
Now yes there is a way for the non-member consumers to write a review about the contractor. With a Fetch Review form which they mail in. However these reviews are NOT seen by the Angie’s List members directly, so they don’t do any good. I had over 20 customers fill out that fetch review and mail them in. Which were ALL perfect Reviews about my company.
After I started paying the $250 a month, I got put on the first two pages of Angie’s LIST. I got (2) calls in 6 months. My profile page was all set up perfect with everything
... Show more

roscoe6

Aug 03, 2013 Baltimore, Maryland

I concur. Its a the bigest scam in the country. their ads run everywhere in every medium. They are expensive. Whos paying for them. You are! If you want any kind of viewable presence you have to pay for 'extras'. Reviews left by your customers who are not paying AL members are hidden. Its absolutely rediculious. once I joined as a business and realized what an absoulte lie the who thing is I just quit asking clients for reviews. My reviews are outstanding BTW but in 14 mounths of AL exposure I have had one meeting with a potential client who found me on AL and it did not progress to a job. I have had dealings with a painter in my area who was beyond horrible and I went to check out her AL reviews and they were great. I wouldn't trust it for the world. Go to Yelp for better (free)reviews. AL Is just one BIG scam only making Angie rich.

brucem101

Jul 21, 2013 Tucker, Georgia

Angies list is a phony/it can be manipulated in two ways, good and bad...as a business owner I can join AL for $14, and write several good reviews about myself under different names, and for $14 it is one *** of a great advertising! But on a bad side, and disgruntled ex-wife, girlfriend...or COMPETETOR can join for the same $14 and smear the *** outta you! I am a business owner, and I AM NOT a member, wouldn't stoop that low...but everyone needs to realize the scam in all this, and don't believe anything you read

hjackah

Jul 16, 2013 Edinburg, Texas

Angie's list is a scam. All of the companies listed on her list can be found at other sites on the web, and are free.

pattondog

Jul 14, 2013 Glendale, Arizona

Angies list is a *** lie. .. they are out for one thing....
Money... and that is all... *** LIE !.... *** . LIE ....
FAT *** IS A LIE..

Brad

Jun 08, 2013 Hollister, California

I signed up for AL in May 2011 and quickly learned that there were very few actual listings of any value in my area. When I did searches AL was returning service providers 100+ miles away. I could have accepted that. I did after all live in a somewhat rural area. What I could not accept however was the ongoing barrage of emails and phone calls asking me to rate every company which had turned up in a search. Finally one day when an agent called me to ask for references I had enough. I paid money FOR a service, not to PROVIDE a frigging service for AL business. I canceled my membership and didn't even bother asking for a prorated refund. The AMEX card I had used was expiring so I didn't worry about them billing me again. But sure enough one year later in May 2012 they billed me for a renewal. The credit card info they had was expired but the did it anyway!! So I called again, got the charge removed and assumed that would be it. It wasn't. Just now in May 2013 THEY BILLED ME AGAIN. This is infuriating!!! I don't usually post anything like this but I wanted to let others know. ANGIES LIST IS A SCAM AND ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS SEPARATE YOU FROM YOUR MONEY.

TinyTim

May 27, 2013 Troy, Michigan

I was called by a real estate agent the other day about an Estate Sale Company here in Michigan. I was told they were on Angie's List. I told the real estate agent why would they recommended this company without doing any research of their own. Americana was not on my list of recommendations.

Ron

Apr 01, 2013

I have been contacted by her list for reviews of contractors in my area - I have asked her for payment since I have to pay her to read my own reviews - sounds like a scam to me!

Linro

May 06, 2013 East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

I would have to agree and have wanted to post about this for a long time now. I am a freelance writer and have been contacted to write several reviews for Angies list and just leave out the name of the company, which would be added later. Plus only companies that pay to be listed are allowed to be reviewed. Sounds like a scam to me too.
Want to save money visit my blog www.survivethecostofliving.com

Andy

Mar 31, 2013 Lexington, Kentucky

Angie's list is a Complete fraud. It is an advertising program disguised as a review organization. For decades there have been legitimate non profit organizations that track consumer satisfaction, promote Truth in Advertising, and work to resolve disputes. They are know as the BBB Better Business Bureau. They are NON PROFIT organizations that are run by volunteer boards. Angie's list bombards our company with paid advertising requests. Allows complaints from consumers that have never used the product or service of the company in question. Any one affiliated with this organization should have trouble sleeping at night!

maxxpower

Jun 01, 2013

Andy. Do your research. The BBB is all about profit, and sells A+ ratings to businesses all day. Where do you get your information? :eek

Showing 1-20 of 112 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Angies List.
Filing a new complaint about
×