Angies List - Angie's List Is A Scam.

Angie's List is a scam. After your company gets added they contact you and tell you that your company has been added and reviewed. If you'd like to have an enhanced listing you can pay us for that.

They specifically outlined to one of my vendors that what they would be paying for is good reviews. They achieve this for you in two ways. One is by paying people to write the reviews, the other is by using telemarketers who call current consumer members and pressure them to write good reviews for your company.

So the whole "we are acting in our members best interests" thing is bull! They have one interest in mind: their own.

Angie's List is not honest... you can never know if the reviews you're reading are true or not.

More Review Details

Helpful? 171 Yes 171 81 No 81
Had the same issue 15 Yes 15
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 29 #1013366

Companies get to pick and chose what reviews are posted. I know this for a FACT!

May 08 #981603

I am on the customer end..and joined Angie's list. Started looking for information on bogus reviews because two veterinarians in my area that are deplorable(both from personal experience and other people consider them the worst), get high ratings on Angie's list. This makes me very suspicious.

Apr 13 #971397 Greensboro, North Carolina

On the money. This is a business model that will eventually fail, but for now they're scamming people right and left, under the guise of helping consumers and good companies. They really should be ashamed.

Feb 05 #941358 Naples, Florida

Who would AL recommend? A good and reliable contractor who did not pay them or a bad and unreliable one who paid them?

Sep 22, 2014 #873887 New York, New York

Angies list uses a web service called "trilion reviews pros &"

Sep 08, 2014 #867439

My company is on AL just to be on it for free and if any of my customers want to leave a review. But I refuse to pay them anything. I don't need their paid service to get customer calls. They called, asking me to give them my list of customers and contact numbers and I would not do that. It does not seem right for me to give out my customers' numbers and the AL rep said that they will check the list and only call people that are already AL members. Um, no way. I am not that trusting and I will always put my customers first. Bottom line, I just use AL for the free biz listing but I get most of my calls from my free listings on craigslist.

Sep 08, 2014 #867399 Silver Spring, Maryland

I have no doubt about this at all. Angie's List IS truly a scam. I would never trust them for referrals. I live in the Metro DC area and would ONLY use the unbiased WASHINGTON CONSUMER CHECKBOOK listings. And you don't even need to subscribe to the periodical to get it. Just go to the library and look it up for FREE either by the hard-copies on the shelf or the more updated on-line version. NEVER use Angie's List, for SURE !

peri dunn

Aug 23, 2014 #860595

angies list is a great big lie they take your money I don't care Told me I would get the call center and all traffic and if not olot of jobs come in they would advertise til they did When I called and said have not received any jobs yet and you have took 800.00 dollars out of my account. they said my reviews were not enough. what happened to the only gutter cleaner in the call center. They took all the money was not assamed. If we the contractors half *** did are job we would not last long. I do see this happen to this company.

Jul 20, 2014 #843125 Newtown, Pennsylvania

Angie's list is such a scam. They charged my co, $ 13500.00 for advertising everything went great. I have received an f grade on a post from the son of a client I worked for his father 12.5 years ago and he's contacting me now about the job we did 12 years before that was poorly installed so he said complete lie, the fact remains that Angie's list post complete lies and deceptions they are a untrustworthy and unreliable for a contractor site the BBB is still the best way the go Stay away from Angie's list

never trust  angie

Jul 13, 2014 #840191 Saint Louis, Missouri

I used a a couple of companies from angie list and they were horrible but they are top rated on angie's list

Jul 07, 2014 #836931

I just joined AL 2 months ago as one of my competitors who is a fraction of my size has over 147 (!) A positive ratings and seemed to be thriving on AL for leads & biz. Now that I'm a biz member I've gotten two glowing customer reports in a month- problem is neither one is a customer, but they specifically mentioned my company name.
Clearly my competitor has learned how to "scam" AL's system.
Plus, a friend was contacted 2 weeks ago by AL after her search on their site wanting to "help" her write a review on a company. As she tells it AL put words in her mouth and steered the whole conversation in the "positive" direction they wanted for a member company's grade of an A.
AL is a complete fraud!

Apr 27, 2014 #809623

I think this review hit right on. I received 3 bad reviews from people we did not do work for. There were circumstances that was explained to each on why we were unable to do the work. Yet we received bad reviews and the folks @ angies list said the bad reviews affected calls for work. At one time we were listed on page 1 & 2 now they put us on the bottom of page 4. We have gotten good reviews from people we did do work for

Apr 27, 2014 #809566

An ex-customer of ours reported to AL that our company broke his well pump three years ago and we refused to replace that pump. We did do work at his home but we were not responsible for his faulty pump. We do not pay AL and never have, and as others have posted, as soon as we had one review, AL calls and emails every week and has been doing so for many years. Up until this man's poor review, we were rated A+ with AL, his review brought us to a B. We called AL to state our case and AL stated the only way to reverse his poor rating is to make him happy. He wants $5,000.00 for his pump to be replaced and for "personal loss and damages." There is no way we would ever pay a liar $5,000.00 to get a good grade on AL. There are contractors that do pay the price and, unfortunately, consumers believe the lies. It is known in our area that you can call one of our competitors and get anything you want for free, just complain to AL and the company will refund your money to keep a good rating with AL. Not on your life with us, we'll take the poor grade.

Feb 28, 2014 #789686 Saint Louis, Missouri

One bad review after another...Wow...why would anyone pay to belong to this company. You can get better information from your local BBB and its free!
Angies List has posted bogus reviews on our "site", there are some we didn't even do work for. When we contacted these "customers" we requested and received letters stating they had never done business with us. When we approached Angie List with this info, it was blown off as computer error. But they never removed them either. What possible benefit could this company be to anyone?
It must be true "a sucker and his money are soon parted".

Dec 08, 2013 #754666

I thought I signed up for the free business program. buuuuuuut, as was said here, it was bull----.
also I saw that I actually got a few ratings from supposedly individuals saying that I did lousy work, etc, from people that I have never met in my life. was never at the home, or never spoke to the person behind the write-ups.
soooo, I called her list and demanded that they remove me asap, etc etc.
I told them the issue and they seemed like it was commonplace in their no care attitude they expressed to me.

homeadvisor fan

Nov 13, 2013 #741728

Absolute rip off. Nothing is free neither for the contractor or the client. Find better ways to advertise because you will be losing at least $260 a month and will be asked to create BS jacked up pricing coupons to attract the "elite clientele of AL" - yes that is how much they care about there members they advise contractors to create those so called deals and they also participate in profits. So future clients of AL, find yourself a professional services websites that are free, it only looks good on commercials.

Carpet company

Nov 09, 2013 #740023 Raleigh, North Carolina

It is ***. We have to pay a lot of money to post on angies list. Contractors don't pay BS. The reviews are bogus. She is the only company that double dips. brilliant some say while others say she is a scam artist. depends one's ethics.

Aug 27, 2013 #707375 Fort Worth, Texas

Angie’s List is the worst rip off on the web to BOTH the consumer and to the service professional. I am a contractor. I signed up with Angie’s list in August of 2012. I started the process to start generating review from customers. Now as you see on TV and as they advertise, the service professionals (the contractors) DO NOT pay to be on Angie’s List. Well yes, that’s true, but what they don’t tell the consumer is the contractor has to pay a lot to be on the first page or two of Angie’s so called LIST. So the TRUTH is, yes the contractor does have to pay if they want to get any calls from Angie’s list.
I started paying Angie’s list in March 2013. And amount of $250 a month. At this point I got myself (2) Review from consumer members of Angie’s List, about my company which were great reviews. Which I had to pay the consumer for them to sign up as a member so they COULD write a review about me.
Now yes there is a way for the non-member consumers to write a review about the contractor. With a Fetch Review form which they mail in. However these reviews are NOT seen by the Angie’s List members directly, so they don’t do any good. I had over 20 customers fill out that fetch review and mail them in. Which were ALL perfect Reviews about my company.
After I started paying the $250 a month, I got put on the first two pages of Angie’s LIST. I got (2) calls in 6 months. My profile page was all set up perfect with everything
... Show more

Aug 03, 2013 #692799 Baltimore, Maryland

I concur. Its a the bigest scam in the country. their ads run everywhere in every medium. They are expensive. Whos paying for them. You are! If you want any kind of viewable presence you have to pay for 'extras'. Reviews left by your customers who are not paying AL members are hidden. Its absolutely rediculious. once I joined as a business and realized what an absoulte lie the who thing is I just quit asking clients for reviews. My reviews are outstanding BTW but in 14 mounths of AL exposure I have had one meeting with a potential client who found me on AL and it did not progress to a job. I have had dealings with a painter in my area who was beyond horrible and I went to check out her AL reviews and they were great. I wouldn't trust it for the world. Go to Yelp for better (free)reviews. AL Is just one BIG scam only making Angie rich.

Jul 21, 2013 #684688 Tucker, Georgia

Angies list is a phony/it can be manipulated in two ways, good and a business owner I can join AL for $14, and write several good reviews about myself under different names, and for $14 it is one *** of a great advertising! But on a bad side, and disgruntled ex-wife, girlfriend...or COMPETETOR can join for the same $14 and smear the *** outta you! I am a business owner, and I AM NOT a member, wouldn't stoop that low...but everyone needs to realize the scam in all this, and don't believe anything you read

1-20 of 119 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.