1.4K views

Angie's List allows consumers to shed light on bad business practices.Unfortunately, they should be added to the negative experience list.

Up until today, I was a subscriber to Angie's List since 2008 for two cities. Today I was surprised to receive a notice from PayPal that Angie's List had billed me $70 for a "renewal" subscription. I hadn't receive any notice from Angie's List, they had all my contact info, of a billing for this renewal. I immediately logged onto my Angie's List account and to my surprise found that a $70 "renewal" was charged for....a Classic Car subscription.

It also showed I had my two "regular" city renewals coming up. However, it also showed a Health subscription for both cities was attached to them.

I called the customer service line and spoke to a young lady who transferred me to another young lady to assist me. The CSR listened to my story.

She then said my record showed I was a member beginning in 2008 which was correct. Then she said that the Classic Car subscription "used to be included" with the regular subscription. They had separated it and are now charging $70 for it. Well, I told her I am a retired senior woman who has absolutely no interest in cars.

I told her I felt this was very deceptive of Angies List's management. I believe this is a betrayal of my trust in their service. They send me all kinds of emails each week about their service but never sent me one about my upcoming $70 subscription! I am sure they have thousands of people who don't check their credit card, bank, or PayPal accounts and notice these "renewals".

The people who sign up for Angie's List are looking for honest business people. I had recommended Angie's List to many people but will now warn them of this new method of splitting off a part of their service and then charging them for something they didn't request or want. My wanting the Classic Car subscription would be like the young representative I spoke with signing up for a subscription to AARP. She understood exactly what I meant.

I have received a refund of the money they took from my PayPal account and cancelled my subscriptions.

Very disappointed in them since I thought they were "one of the good guys" out there.

Review about: Angies List Membership.

Had an Experience with Angies List?

Comments

I think its infuriating that they make it so difficult to kill your "membership." Believe me, they want people to get charges unexpectedly bc many people do not check their CC statements. This is deliberate deception.

Thank you for warning people through this post!!

Charleston, South Carolina, United States #942243

I recently had a recurring charge show up on my checking account statement for Angie's List.Bafflingly, I have never used Angie's List nor signed up for any of their services.

Somehow they got my payment information and have begun billing me for services I don't even use, nor have I ever used.

Seeing as I just noticed this tonight, it's too late in the day to do anything about it.But I feel like I've been stolen from.

Sincerely,

Angie's Pissed

I noticed I too was in for an auto renewal so I contacted them on the web site and sent the following ...

My account defaults to auto renewal in a year.I did not select this as an option when I joined and I would like to disable this 'feature'.

Please advise.

They responded with the following ... too late though they lost my trust ...

Thanks for contacting us at Angie's List.

As you requested, I have set-up your account so it will not automatically renew. Instead, you will receive a reminder in the mail 30, 60, and 90 days before your expiration date.

If you are concerned about your account lapsing in the future, or would find it more convenient to keep the account on an automatic renewal, we can set you up with an email notification that will be sent out 30 days prior to the renewal as a reminder. If you would like to switch to this option instead, or if we can help with anything else, just let us know.

Sad that I had to contact them to opt out of something I did not know I had opted into!!!Bad Angie!

to Anonymous #1000859

I have experienced the same process for the past two years.I'm sure I contacted them in 2013.

Here's their exact reply from my email archives:

"I have set-up your account so that you will receive a reminder in the mail. These go out 30, 60, and 90 days before your expiration date. If you do decide to renew your membership with us, you can respond to the mailing, give us a quick call, or go online. If we don't hear back from you, your account will expire."

This June?

Billed to my credit card.

Which is even more interesting in that they haven't had my new expiration date in two years, so they must be guessing when they rebill the card, since I obviously haven't been giving it to them when I get a new card.

The more I hear from contractors about Angie's List and their practices, the less interested I am in doing business with them.I advise you to do your due diligence, yourself, before using their service.

Angie's list is a membership scam.They keep your credit card on file and will even change an sold credit card number.

I've been trying to get a credit now for a month.

Talked to 4 different people who all tell me they are getting a credit issued.

Don't join.You'll be charged every year forever.

I was not able to stop automatic renewal via the website; this is consistent with other posts. I was able to cancel via live chat. Transcript as follows:

Jacqueline W: Hi, my name is Jacqueline W. How may I help you?

Me: I do not wish to renew my membership; but the web site does not appear to provide this option.

Jacqueline W: I can help with this. I am sorry to hear you wish to cancel with us. We always appreciate member feedback, so if you don't mind me asking, what could we have done better, David?

Me: I did not find the service useful. Please confirm that my membership's cancellation.

Me: I also found the website disappointing in that it did not make it easy to cancel automatic renewal.

Jacqueline W: I'm sorry for any trouble you had finding what you need. Do you mind letting me know what services you were looking for on Angie's List?

Me: Yes I do mind. Please cancel my membership.

Jacqueline W: I apologize about any frustration caused with this.

Me: Please confirm my membership's cancellation.

Jacqueline W: I’ve set it so your account will not renew. Keep in mind, your account is still good through 7/16/2013 in case the need arises.

Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Me: Issue a message confirming my membership's cancellation,

Jacqueline W: I will send you an email confirmation and you can use ############## as a reference number as...

Me: Thank you. Even if I had found the service to be useful, I would have still canceled out of principle because of the website's design that thwarts easy cancellation.

Jacqueline W: You're welcome. And, I am sincerely sorry for any inconvenience in the cancellation process.

Jacqueline W: We certainly do not want to make the cancellation difficult for you.

Jacqueline W: Is there anything else I can do for you tonight?

Me: You have been most helpful. Thank you!

Jacqueline W: Thanks again for contacting us. Have a wonderful week!

The only way to prevent auto-renewal is to not join Angie's List in the first place.I had the same experience of them saving my Paypal account information on file without any notice, and stealthily auto-renew.

The only reason I knew my membership was renewed was via a "payment sent" notice from Paypal!

I wouldn't be so upset if Angie's List provides a good service, but it doesn't.

I used Angie's list to hire several different companies to perform various services on our home (gutter cleaning, painting, window cleaning etc.) and I have to say their ratings and reviews are not reflective of the company's actual level of service.I think it's a factor of Angie's list just not having enough volume to have sufficient number of reviews per company.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States #656074

Angie's list now amounts to a scam with what it takes to stop the account.There is no warning that your account is going to auto-renew and there is no way to delete your billing information.

This is a company that touts saving you from the scamming practices of others.They have no regard for whether you are satisfied or not so why would you trust their advice?

mar1scs
Atlanta, Georgia, United States #630403

WOW....I WAS SCAMMED BY ANGIES LIST!!They made the initial search look like they had data on the company I was researching so I paid the fee to get the information.

Once I paid there was no additional into on the company! WHen I tried to cancell the acct via their online form I was redirected to a chat que. I wanted nearly a full hour and got to next in que where I wanted another 30 min for no response.

I THINK THEY HAVE INTENTIONALLY BECOME THE SCAMMERS NOT THE CONSUMER ADVOCATES.PASS THE WORD THIS IS A SCAM.

#519991

THEFT- plain and simple.

Just found they renewed automatically and charged my Papal account.

Was signed up for only one year.

No notification requesting renewal - and I know we never agreed to a multi year subscription. Why would we? We agreed to try it to see if we liked it - so why in the world would we agree to a multi year arrangement without knowing what it was all about.

Deceptive is not the right word.

This is theft.