3.3K views

Angie's List is a scam. After your company gets added they contact you and tell you that your company has been added and reviewed. If you'd like to have an enhanced listing you can pay us for that.

They specifically outlined to one of my vendors that what they would be paying for is good reviews. They achieve this for you in two ways. One is by paying people to write the reviews, the other is by using telemarketers who call current consumer members and pressure them to write good reviews for your company.

So the whole "we are acting in our members best interests" thing is bull! They have one interest in mind: their own.

Angie's List is not honest... you can never know if the reviews you're reading are true or not.

Had an Experience with Angies List?

Comments

We had a new furnace installed, the sales guy told me Angies list gave their company a high rating & review and they have never been contacted or ever talked with anyone at Angies list so they have no idea how they got the review, they didn't even know they were on there. Angies list is just tricking and scamming people....I see a class action lawsuit on the near future

Yes just like Yelp.Angies list told us for $3600 a year they would take care of all the reviews.

All professionally written by reviewers in our state.All fake of course.

I had a water problem in my basement and I went on Angie's list to find a reputable repair company as it turned out the repair company had already been into give me an estimate which was way lower than when I went through Angie's list and as it turned out they had a terrible reputation

Companies get to pick and chose what reviews are posted. I know this for a FACT!

I am on the customer end..and joined Angie's list. Started looking for information on bogus reviews because two veterinarians in my area that are deplorable(both from personal experience and other people consider them the worst), get high ratings on Angie's list. This makes me very suspicious.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States #971397

On the money. This is a business model that will eventually fail, but for now they're scamming people right and left, under the guise of helping consumers and good companies. They really should be ashamed.

Naples, Florida, United States #941358

Who would AL recommend? A good and reliable contractor who did not pay them or a bad and unreliable one who paid them?

New York, New York, United States #873887

Angies list uses a web service called "trilion reviews pros & cons.com"

My company is on AL just to be on it for free and if any of my customers want to leave a review.But I refuse to pay them anything.

I don't need their paid service to get customer calls. They called, asking me to give them my list of customers and contact numbers and I would not do that. It does not seem right for me to give out my customers' numbers and the AL rep said that they will check the list and only call people that are already AL members. Um, no way.

I am not that trusting and I will always put my customers first.Bottom line, I just use AL for the free biz listing but I get most of my calls from my free listings on craigslist.

Silver Spring, Maryland, United States #867399

I have no doubt about this at all.Angie's List IS truly a scam.

I would never trust them for referrals. I live in the Metro DC area and would ONLY use the unbiased WASHINGTON CONSUMER CHECKBOOK listings. And you don't even need to subscribe to the periodical to get it.

Just go to the library and look it up for FREE either by the hard-copies on the shelf or the more updated on-line version.NEVER use Angie's List, for SURE !