Palatine, Illinois

We signed up as a business with an enhanced listing and were told we would get tons of leads - got none. We also put an ad in the monthly book and was told it was mailed to 100K members in the Chicago area - later found out it was mailed to only half as many.

A complaint with an F rating was posted against our business by a member whom had the work done by another business. The confusion came from the fact that the owner previously had an interest in the business that did the work before it stopped operating. Issue was damage to a mailbox that happened during the course of doing the work. Truck slid off customers snowy drive and hit mailbox, husband said don't worry about it and wife later sent an inflated bill for 5 times what the mail box cost to replace.

In any case, AngliesList was notified and provide documentation that negative report was posted against the wrong company, but they did not care and refused to remove the report unless we met customers demand and paid her the money. Felt like extortion. I was told they can not remove a report because the customer owns it, but there notice to me regarding complaint stated that if I met the members demands, the report would be deleted or upgraded to an A or B.

AngiesList is unethical and irresponsible for allowing a member to post a review against the incorrect company even after documentation was provided. We just asked the review be posted to the correct business. They have no regard for damaging a businesses reputation, but continue to try to collect listing fees from my business.

The worst is that after they started taking my money, I heard radio commercials where they claim that business don't pay to be listed. That is a deceptive half truth. They continue to lie to consumers by being on both sides of the take. Charging consumers for so called impartial business reviews and then charging businesses to be listed at the top.

Don't get involved with AngiesList they only represent a couple percent of the potential customers out there and they can do more hard then good for your business. By the way, whether consumer or business to not give them your credit card as you will have to cancel it to get them to stop charging fees.

They are a scam and should be investigated for deceptive business practices.

Product or Service Mentioned: Angies List Customer Care.

Comments

Ken

I tried to email you can it came back, you can email me directly at tscale@aol.com

Hi,I'm an investigative reporter - I am currently writing a piece on Angies-List. On a public forum, I do not want to go into further details, but if you could contact me that would be great.

I would be happy to pass over to you the information I have collected from other people who have been seriously mistreated.

Please email: ken101clarke@gmail.com. All the best