Austin, Texas
1.9K views

The big deal works like this: you get an email from Angie's List with a discounted service (tree trimming, carpet cleaning, .etc). If you like the offer, you sign up for the coupon and the price (discounted) is paid for with your credit card (on file as you have to renew their membership periodically).

Most coupons have a 90-120 window for use. What they don't tell you is there is a 30 day window to get your money back from Angie's if you change your mind about the service (buried in the fine print on the website). After that, any money for coupons not acted upon (apparently) are sent to the business. So for a coupon at with 100 people taking an offer, 50 actually got the service (good), 30 people decided on a refund in 30 days (good), and the rest (20) lost their money as this was residual paid to the business. In short, free money for the business.

No where on the coupon does it spell out these details and the user is left thinking that he or she has the full 90-120 days to either redeem the coupon or get the refund.

The "BIG DEAL" works best if it's a coupon with a single price for a service, say $100 vs. $200 for duct cleaning. It's worst for a $200 savings for a service.

In my case I finally got the estimate for the service (within the 4 month window) but found it way too high and I've been trying to get my money back ever since. So far, no luck.

Product or Service Mentioned: Angies List Membership.

Comments

From the business side - The Big Deal

For ex the regular price is $100.00, Angie's want you to offer it at a discount say $80. The owner gets 40% of the $80.

Angie's list keeps 60%

A job that would be $100.00 we are now only making $48.00

As a small business it is not cost effective to do these big deals.

We don't try to sell you more stuff when we get there. If it's too good to be true......

The businesses do not get any residual money at all. It's pre set.

It's actually a pretty good deal of you really are practical about what you're getting into? You have to have some idea before you buy what the service is going to cost..it's just a little common sense.

My angies list big deal contractor could not perform the service advertised...or refused to due to lack of profit for them..angies list is holding my 300 dollars hostage for a service that was never performed!

Should have got an estimate before you purchased, so you knew what you were saving :)

Not all business is like that. We own an electric company, we run several offers, if you purchase today you can use it 2 years from now. Our offers may have an expiration date, but we do honor them if that date is expired on your voucher.

Bought a big deal coupon only to find out that the work to be done was NOT something company was going to honor. Instead I was given a bid for $160 more to complete the job of hanging a light fixture.

Total cost would have been $90 coupon and $160 = $250.

I borrowed a ladder and hung the fixture myself in 45 minutes. Duh.

Not sure I would ever use another coupon since the limitations are NOT listed when you buy them.

Only after do you see the restrictions.

In my case, Angie's List refunded my money within two weeks with an apology. No problems there.

The Big Deal works as follows: The contractor offers work at 50% rate. Angie's list collects the money for the coupon that is sold to homeowner.

Angie's list then pays the contractor 60% of money collected and keeps 40% for themselves. The contractor is duped into working WAY under cost with the promise of new reviews and more work in the future. Quick way for a contractor to go bankrupt. Angie has fooled everyone.

She's probably on a beach or playing golf in Hawaii right now as the money comes rolling in. :(

I was double ripped on a big deal. I had purchased a service for 2hours of work; it was horrible and the provider spent less than 15 minutes doing "work" (no notice or appointment).

I called angies list and they confirmed that they would issue a refund. No refund from Angies so I called again: they indicated again that they would issue it immediately. Again, no refund. Third call: "they" won't let me issue a refund.

I pushed it and they remarkably would not issue a refund for a service they promoted and was not delivered.

The manager actually said the provider "said he completed the work"; and that was the final word. Save your money; I'd have better luck with random choices than Angies list.

I had a similar experience last winter with a Big Deal for $150 on $500 attic insulation. We didn't act on the bid or cancel the work in time, and Angie's List told us we were out of luck with a refund.

Fortunately, the insulation contractor sent a full refund so we left a positive review for them.

These Big Deals are misleading. Rather than saying $150 discount on a $1800 attic insulation job (the truth), or $30 discount on a $350 landscaping consultation, they say $150 for $500 of attic insulation and $30 for $50 of landscaping advice. Did I expect to have my attic insulated for $150? No.

I wanted to get bypasses sealed so that we could DIY with fiberglass bats. The company couldn't come to our house for less than about $800 (wages, insurance, etc) so it didn't work out for us and we asked for our money back.