State: Maryland Product: Angies List Website Clear all filters (1 of 50 reviews match)
filters
State:
City:
Show
Product:

Angies List in Baltimore, Maryland - Angie’s List is not an unbiased consumer advocate

In my opinion, Angie's List is a scam that only wants A-rated reviews on their website. As a subscriber, in only two instances did I give an F-rating to a company regarding their services. In both instances, the input was included on Angie's List website, but for some unknown reason, my negative feedback were later removed from the site. One contractor contacted me ten months (!) after my initial input to Angie's List and specifically mentioned they had seen my negative comment on the site. I decided to update my initial feedback only to discover on both occasions that my input was missing. What I also discovered for this company I rated was that previous ratings of Bs and Cs were now replaced with all A-ratings. Don't waste your money subscribing as Angie's List is certainly not an unbiased consumer advocate.

Hi,I'm an investigative reporter - I am currently writing a piece on Angies-List. On a public forum, I do not want to go into further details, but if you could contact me that would be great.

I would be happy to pass over to you the information I have collected from other people who have been seriously mistreated.

Please email: ken101clarke@gmail.com. All the best

I am a Master Plumber with 38 years in the trade. I was contacted many times by AL to advertise on there site.

After reviewing the matter I decided against it. There are to many red flags. The input from members are not scrutinized enough and there is to much room for abuse. To me it looked like a giant pity party.

A complaint at the BBB I consider much more legitimate. A person who complains there has to submit it in writing along with their name and address and supporting documents. The contractor has a right and opportunity to respond. All of that information is there for anyone who wants to see.

Sort of the American way in that we all have a right to confront our accusers. If you want to have success with a contractor first listen to what your gut tells you. Then ask many people you know and trust for recommendations. Do read any information at the BBB and state licensing boards and AG office ( but if you feel need to do this or look on a web site then you should probably look for someone else).

On your first meeting was the contractor on time? Did he call you to let you that he was on his way? If he didn’t do not hire him. Trust me on this.

Ask them right to there face if they have ever failed to complete a contract or had any major complaints and watch their reaction. The best one though is to look in their truck when they come to your house and look at how they are dressed.

If they and there truck is a mess then the work they do for you and the respect that they show for you and your home will probably be the same. I have ZERO complaints against my company.

#441910

I agree, you need to treat Angie's List like any other review website. They do not compile ratings properly. For example, if I'm looking for strictly a plumber but the business does not only plumbing but general contracting, roofing, gravel laying and more, all those ratings get lumped into the plumber review rating. So, the plumbing portion of a business may be an F but the rest may be better. Therefore, you can't really tell how well the plumber has been rated.

In addition, we happened to have used a business on Angie's List. They're painters and were referred by a friend. I cannot rate them an F on Angie's list because I'm afraid of retaliation by the company since they're known in our circles. I've reamed them on other sites, however.

We're not renewing with AL. We do much better with recommendations from friends. We've used AL with very bad results. They're just not worth it - good concept but very poor execution.

Angie's list is just another scam for a business to make money. They trick you into signing up with them and then after the fact they tell you that you only just signed up for a certain geographic area that they assign you based on where they think you shop or require services, on top of that they tell you after the fact that if you want to write or see a review of another business that you have to pay them again for that area ? Are they insane !

Howard S

I was advertising on Angies list. I believe it to be a total scam.

They say contractors cannot pay to be on Angies listy then they shake us down for ads.

As a contractor I can only say stay s=away the customers want the work done for nothing. I work to make a living not to make Angie fat.

View more comments (4)