State: Maryland Clear all filters (17 of 666 reviews match)
filters
State:
City:
Show
Product:
Show

Angies List review in Aberdeen, Maryland: Autorenewal SCAM

I too just fell victim to the AngieScam. I never authorized a renewal and never signed up for auto renewal. They used my PayPal credentials to "send" themselves a subscription renewal payment. No contact to me, and no notification whatsoever! I had to resort to chat to cancel my account and get an immediate refund of the fraudulent transaction. I have opened a case with Paypal so they are aware of this scam. Be advised, if you sign up for Angies List, They WILL take your money! I too fell victim of the reviews on this site, I guess they sell their glowing endorsements to the highest bidder, I was not happy with the contractor I used, and my review of them was deleted within 24 hours.
Reason of review
Poor customer service

Angies List review in Rockville, Maryland: Angie's LIST-complained about contractor- they removed my bad review

it isn't that simple: contractor fixed by roof. it rained and the leak got worse after he was there. I called several times (4) and left messages. No response at all. Meanwhile ceiling got significantly worse from subsequent rains. I sent an "F" report to Angie's List (AL). Complained to Angie's List. They got contractor to refund my money- it didn't help since ceiling was in bad shape and i had to now hire another contractor to fix roof and would have a big repair to the ceiling. AL removed my review and refused to let me post another one, saying issue was resolved because my money was refunded. it wasn't resolved- ceiling was ruined. People need to know contractor is bad but AL won't post the review.

DeHoyos concrete in Beach Park Il will not answer my calls when I tried to reach them 1week after they supposedly patched my cracks in driveway . The cracks reappeared in same spots and after giving them $2000 they will not answer my calls!!!!!!i want my driveway fixed

Roofer has A rating on Angies List. I called that states board for licensing contractors and I told the roofing company received a letter of warning for shoddy work.

View more comments (1)
Tags
  • Angies Scam
  • loss is only estimated

Paid For Submitting Reviews on Angies List

After joining Angies List I kept getting email requests to evaluate companies I had never done business with. Finally I received an email saying that Angies List would pay me $25.00 if I posted reviews on at least three auto repair shops in my area. I complied (one I hadn't done business with for years) and received my $25.00 Visa card. I recently read where Angies List has reported significantly lower revenue and profit than expected. I believe that the Angies List "business model" is not being executed in a truthful, honest way, and would recommend that neither businesses nor customers are getting treated with honesty and professionalism. I believe we will see the demise or takeover of AL within several years, as other methods of getting honest opinions of businesses emerge.
Review

Angies List review in Rockville, Maryland: Gas Fireplace inspection by Chimney. com

They pulled a bait and switch...Angie's List doesn't vet any of the companies they "promote" through their website. Here's the response I received from them when I complained about the company and how Chimney.com tried to sell us an entirely new gas fireplace - the one we have is only 3 years old! Thank you for your email. I am sorry for your negative experience. Angie’s List is a forum for members to look for service providers and to read their reviews based on member feedback. We cannot back the quality of their work because we are not rating the companies. Members provide those ratings. We allow companies to offer coupons if they pass a background check, have an A or B rating, and are in good standing with Angie’s List. If a company can no longer meet those eligibility requirements, their ability to run Deals is revoked. I am going to issue you a refund for your membership to help make up for the trouble. You will still have access to your membership through January 2017. Their answer to avoiding any legal issues is to refund your money!

Angies List review in Pasadena, Maryland: Angie's List

I used Angie's List once. I was not happy with the service I received (rug cleaning) and was called several times to write a review and then called for questions about the review. I assumed (shame on me) that I would be notified when it was time to renew. Then I saw a renewal fee on my credit card. So I contacted them. Another hassle. Have to pay another year's service for nothing because I didn't contact them the day before. They are sending me a notice in June 2014 to notify me 30 days in advance of my renewal date. Whoop-de-do.
Loss
I wanted to cancel my Angie's List subscription. Went online, and was forced to go thru a long 'dont leave us' chat exchange: Amy C: Hi, my name is Amy C. How may I help you? Tim T: Please cancel my subscription Amy C: I am sorry to hear you wish to cancel...

I have asked 10 times to unsubscribe me still get calls and emails and apparently the sold my info I’m getting calls from all over the country DO NOT USE AngIES LIST

View more comments
Angies List Membership

Angies List review in Baltimore, Maryland: Angie’s List is not an unbiased consumer advocate

In my opinion, Angie's List is a scam that only wants A-rated reviews on their website. As a subscriber, in only two instances did I give an F-rating to a company regarding their services. In both instances, the input was included on Angie's List website, but for some unknown reason, my negative feedback were later removed from the site. One contractor contacted me ten months (!) after my initial input to Angie's List and specifically mentioned they had seen my negative comment on the site. I decided to update my initial feedback only to discover on both occasions that my input was missing. What I also discovered for this company I rated was that previous ratings of Bs and Cs were now replaced with all A-ratings. Don't waste your money subscribing as Angie's List is certainly not an unbiased consumer advocate.

Hi,I'm an investigative reporter - I am currently writing a piece on Angies-List. On a public forum, I do not want to go into further details, but if you could contact me that would be great.

I would be happy to pass over to you the information I have collected from other people who have been seriously mistreated.

Please email: ken101clarke@gmail.com. All the best

I am a Master Plumber with 38 years in the trade. I was contacted many times by AL to advertise on there site.

After reviewing the matter I decided against it. There are to many red flags. The input from members are not scrutinized enough and there is to much room for abuse. To me it looked like a giant pity party.

A complaint at the BBB I consider much more legitimate. A person who complains there has to submit it in writing along with their name and address and supporting documents. The contractor has a right and opportunity to respond. All of that information is there for anyone who wants to see.

Sort of the American way in that we all have a right to confront our accusers. If you want to have success with a contractor first listen to what your gut tells you. Then ask many people you know and trust for recommendations. Do read any information at the BBB and state licensing boards and AG office ( but if you feel need to do this or look on a web site then you should probably look for someone else).

On your first meeting was the contractor on time? Did he call you to let you that he was on his way? If he didn’t do not hire him. Trust me on this.

Ask them right to there face if they have ever failed to complete a contract or had any major complaints and watch their reaction. The best one though is to look in their truck when they come to your house and look at how they are dressed.

If they and there truck is a mess then the work they do for you and the respect that they show for you and your home will probably be the same. I have ZERO complaints against my company.

#441910

I agree, you need to treat Angie's List like any other review website. They do not compile ratings properly. For example, if I'm looking for strictly a plumber but the business does not only plumbing but general contracting, roofing, gravel laying and more, all those ratings get lumped into the plumber review rating. So, the plumbing portion of a business may be an F but the rest may be better. Therefore, you can't really tell how well the plumber has been rated.

In addition, we happened to have used a business on Angie's List. They're painters and were referred by a friend. I cannot rate them an F on Angie's list because I'm afraid of retaliation by the company since they're known in our circles. I've reamed them on other sites, however.

We're not renewing with AL. We do much better with recommendations from friends. We've used AL with very bad results. They're just not worth it - good concept but very poor execution.

Angie's list is just another scam for a business to make money. They trick you into signing up with them and then after the fact they tell you that you only just signed up for a certain geographic area that they assign you based on where they think you shop or require services, on top of that they tell you after the fact that if you want to write or see a review of another business that you have to pay them again for that area ? Are they insane !

Howard S

I was advertising on Angies list. I believe it to be a total scam.

They say contractors cannot pay to be on Angies listy then they shake us down for ads.

As a contractor I can only say stay s=away the customers want the work done for nothing. I work to make a living not to make Angie fat.

View more comments (4)